Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Indo Arab News

The pause aims to ease pressure on the U.S. immigration system, covering new applicants and existing cases, while Trump plans to remove non-contributing individuals and end federal benefits for non-citizens.

Published on: November 29, 2025

Edited on: November 29, 2025

us-migration-pause-third-world-countries

Rep Image Courtesy: X @WhiteHouse

Washington: US President Donald Trump announced a broad halt on migration from ‘Third World countries’, a decisive shift triggered by the killing of a National Guard member in an attack near the White House.

The move deepens the administration’s ongoing crackdown on immigration just a day after the shooting, which officials say was carried out by an Afghan national who entered the United States under a resettlement programme in 2021.

The President made the announcement on his social media platform, saying the pause is needed to ease pressure on the US immigration system. He said the order would apply not only to new applicants but also to cases approved under the previous administration. Trump also outlined plans to remove individuals who he claimed do not contribute to the country, along with ending access to federal benefits for non-citizens.

The administration has already begun reviewing asylum cases approved during Joe Biden’s term and re-examining green cards issued to nationals from 19 countries. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services has stopped all processing related to Afghan nationals indefinitely, adding uncertainty to thousands of pending cases.

The alleged gunman in Wednesday’s attack, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, was granted asylum earlier this year. Although he was in the country legally, officials say the incident has strengthened the administration’s argument for tighter vetting and more aggressive enforcement.

Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, was killed in the attack. Fellow Guardsman Andrew Wolfe, 24, remains in critical condition. The assault has intensified political pressure and fuelled fresh debate over national security gaps in the current immigration system.

The nature of the proposed migration freeze has sparked concern among humanitarian groups and global organisations. UN officials urged Washington to honour its obligations under international law, stressing that asylum seekers must be given proper protection and due process. Human rights advocates warn that broad, undefined restrictions could expose vulnerable groups to discrimination and collective punishment.

The President said his administration aims to reduce illegal and disruptive populations, signalling a strategy that goes beyond border enforcement. He has deployed additional immigration officers to major cities to increase deportations, resulting in record removal levels. According to recent ICE figures, more than two-thirds of the 53,000 people detained as of mid-November had no criminal convictions.

POPULAR | Black Friday: The Tradition That Turned Shopping Into a Global Event

News Desk

The above news/article was published by a News Bureau member at indoarabnews who sourced, compiled, and corroborated this content. For any queries or complaints on the published material, please get in touch through WhatsApp on +971506012456 or via Mail(at)IndoArabNews(dot)com

Fresh news

Indo Arab News uses cookies to enhance your experience. By using this portal, you confirm that you have read and agreed to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. If you have concerns about privacy or security, please don’t use this website.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service